Monday, July 7, 2008

Back to the Contest

Okay, Contestants, The Dye Contest is indeed still in progress. We were just on hold while I completed the required training in San Diego and then adjusted to homelife once again. By adjusting to homelife, I mean that I got my daughter used to following rules again. She thinks that she should get $30 per week allowance, a car, car insurance, and a free weekly tank of gas while she goofs off with her boyfriend all summer long. I (and I'm still the Mom) think that she should earn the money. It is not working out so well for her. She is not working, not volunteering, not taking a college course, and so forth; thus, it should come as no surprise to you other Moms out there...she is not getting the above privileges. (Privileges are NOT rights!!) The car has been retired to the garage officially last week. She is none too happy. And it is a little like living with an IED (improvised explosive device). On to more important blog issues.

For this contest, I decided to learn how to use professional grade dyes. And I decided upon the brand Pro Chemical and Dye. They had clear directions and loads of colors to choose from. The also have "fiber reactive" dyes that I will be able to use to dye bamboo. I think that was what interested me the most about going with Pro Chem. You gotta start somewhere and this company has a good reputation.

In the above pic on the left you will see the PRO WashFast Acid Dye Sampler: Cool Palette. The colors are Magenta, Sun Yellow, and Brilliant Blue. I have mixed the max strength in each canning jar because they can be stored for up to 6 months and then diluted as needed for each dye episode.

In the above pic on the right you will see the PRO WashFast Acid Dye Sampler: Warm Palette. The colors in this pic are Bright Red, Golden Yellow, and National Blue . Again they are mixed to max strength and will be diluted as necessary.

Gorgeous, aren't they gorgeous!!!??!

Now to the next pics...They are PRO WashFast Acid Dye Autumn Sampler.




The pic above shows Purple, Turkey Red, and Maple Sugar.

The pic below shows on the left Spiced Pumpkin, center is Evergreen, and right is Mocha Chino.




I am pleased with how they turned out, and I feel myself heading toward the ProChem webpage to order more colors. After all, I only have 7 lbs of merino roving to dye, not to mention all the other fibers that are in line to dye after that.

Y'all, I want you to know how much fun I am having. My head is swirling with your colors every minute of every day. It is a marvelous focus to have when my day turns to stress...I go to the bliss of the color groupings that you have provided. I am still so honored that all of you chose to participate. Thank you.

Would you like to see some more of the already dyed skeins and braids? I'll put up a few but if you want more than that..please leave a post for me. Okay? Thanks.



I hope we all dream in color tonight.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Those autumn colors were just what I was thinking of. I can't wait to see the rest of the pieces you do. I hope mine is one of them!

Kat said...

It definitely looks like you're having fun!! Dyeing is such a kick.

I can't wait to see the winning fibers and yarns!

Anonymous said...

Wow. They look fantastic! What dyes were you using before you started this road to colour madness?