Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hope: A Yarn Contest

Hope Yarn

I love words, I am the girl in the corner reading the dictionary to learn the root meanings of words. Although it would have been hard to figure out in advance that I would come to love words when I was first acquiring language. The story my mother always told is: "Beth wouldn't speak until she could formulate complete sentences. She wanted nothing to do with responses containing a single word." If that story is true then the first thing I ever said was "I want a horse." So my very first thoughts were of hoping to have a horse. It took twelve more years of hoping but I finally got Dixie, a barn sour strawberry roan who taught me how to ride with confidence. Confidence is a good skill to learn as a girl of thirteen riding around in the back hills of Alabama. Today, as the parent of a soon-to-be adult daughter (she will be 18 in two days!), I marvel at how my parents were able to allow a young teen girl to ride all alone on the back of a semi-trained mare into the woods where there were known to be bootleggers and active stills. But they did. And never once did anything remotely bad happen. Well, once I had to walk back to the barn after Dixie dumped me onto the ground. Embarrassed and brushing dirt out of my hair, I made it back to the barn in 30 minutes where ALL the laughing farm hands were waiting along with Dixie, also laughing, who was standing in front of her stall. I ramble...


Let's get back to hope. The dictonary says that hope is having a resonable expectation that something one wishes for will come true. In this country, we need some of that today after years of war and the knowledge that things are going to get worse in the short term for many people we love.

The Hope Contest

I think a fiber contest would make us all feel better; don't you? Here's the deal.

The Prize: Hope Yarn

1. Add a comment to this blog entry telling me what you hope for most right now. Use of creative thinking and positive language will be given highest consideration.

2. Make sure that you give me only one hope - otherwise I will only read about the first one and that might not be your best one.

3. Be sure to leave some method for me to contact you. The winner will be posted on the blog, but I would like to be able to send you your "Hope" prize.
4. The deadline: 10:00 am Central Time, Sunday, November 16, 2008. I will post the name of the winner by Sunday at 10:00 pm.

5. Your price will be the skein of "Hope" yarn that I handspun after the election last week.

Yarn Specs

36.7 yards of Merino Silk blend that was drum carded by me. The silk is a beautiful gold-yellow adding softness and shine through out the yarn. Some white glitz was also added during the carding process. Hope was handspun on my Schacht Matchless with a z twist and then plied with both a stark white linen yarn and gold embroidery thread.

I can't wait to read all your responses! I hope you enjoy reading them, too!

16 comments:

tricia2475 said...

My biggest hope right now is that my cancer doesn't come back so I can watch my children grow up.

tricia2475 on Ravelry

Stacey said...

I hope that tricia2475 hope comes true, that would be the best, with having 4 kids myself and also a sahm, I understand, Congrats on being cancer free, and a prayer that it stays away!!

Stacey said...

Oops! luv2knitncrochet on ravelry

Heide said...

I hope to sell some stuff on ebay so I can buy my kids Christmas presents... this sounds so shallow after reading about someone worrying about cancer. Heideho on Ravelry.

Motno said...

My hope is that the "potential fraud" post on Spinner's Marketplace (and other posts) on Ravelry will go away so that I can sell some yarn and fiber for Christmas funds. (Sounds selfish after reading tricia2475, I pray she stays cancer-free from now on)

Motno on Ravelry

Tally Knits said...

I really hope that my mom makes it financially and somehow gets through. She got laid-off (temporarily, but who knows how long it will be) and no one is hiring right now, recently moved out on her own after a nasty divorce, has a lot of mouths to feed (animals), and is relying on selling things at the flea market to get by for now.

SpinKnitUp on Ravelry.

Donna said...

I hope that our country will come together under President (elect) Obama allowing him to be successful in delivering on some of those campaign promises.

Mary said...

My hope is that my youngest son would be cured of his severe autism or at least that a treatment would be found to give him a chance to talk or communicate. He's 11 years old and extremely sweet-natured, but completely non-verbal and very delayed. I see him struggle daily with things that should be so easy, such as being able to play or talk. Just to hear him say my name or tell me he loves me would mean the world to me. That said, I will pray that tricia2475 gets her wish that she stays cancer free - that is one wish that should be granted... God bless you, Tricia!

silmiriel on Ravelry

Sara said...

I could talk about my hopes for our environment or country, which are frequently at the forefront of my mind. However, my dearest hope is also selfish. I think that deep down, we are all at least a little selfish and should not be ashamed of that. My hope is that my mother is in a place where she can see and hear me. My mom was my one true friend, and the only one who appreciated me for who I truly am. She saw the sacrifices I make and she admired my hard work. She was the only one I talked to. I know I will never have anyone like that again and do not wish to replace her. The only thing that makes her loss bearable is that hope. The hope that somehow, she can hear me and see me and is proud of me and everything I do. Thinking of her encouragement as I walk the path of motherhood on my own and imagining her smiling when my baby laughs and sharing in his growth is all that comforts me. It's been two years since she left us and it still feels like yesterday. I can't bear the thought that she is truly gone. My hope is my comfort, and even though you may not consider it positive, it is all I have. The hope makes me happy so that I can go on. And as my mom used to say: "There you have it."

(ravelry ID is the same as blogger, btw)

Unknown said...

i hope that the prime minister of canada (stephen harper) listens very carefully to the words of obama and benefits from his wisdom.

Unknown said...

My hope is a poem/rap I wrote on 9 November 2008. The last two lines are my hope, stated quite figuratively.

Stars Above

I am immersed in the culture of rhyme
I speak in verse
Some folks, they call it a crime
My heart, it bursts
to see their dimness of eyes
We've got to work
To end these torturous lies
Why do we perpetuate the fear of
the new?
Hold my hand, we'll jump in,
That's what we oughta do
It's no easy story-tellin
'bout new blues.
Begun my search
The crescent melody line
The starlit words
The notes, they're streamin' behind
Everybody's waitin' for the comet
tonight
A welcome sign that everything is
gonna be right
We Must Be the Stars Above
And Not the Night.

Angela said...

my hope is that my children will have a peaceful, blessed life, and that their father and i will be able to give them the nurturing they need to grow into compassionate adults who make choices to do what is right, even when it is difficult and unpopular.

i'm NWKnitterMama on ravelry.

Turtle said...

My hope is that my mom, who raised me on her own and worked so hard, gets her early retirement approved so she will be able to stop delivering mail through rough back country roads as early as this coming feb!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I hope that our country will figure out a way for everyone to have good health care.Hugs Darcy
darcysknottyknitter@gmail.com

Bianca said...

My every day hope is that my husband is safe... his work can be very agressive.

Another hope is for my cousin, who is having serious problems with his kidneys. Am praying for recovery in one way or the other.

wenat said...

My hope is that my kids outgrow their severe food allergies, so that I don't have to live in fear for their lives as they grow older and more independent.